Monday, January 17, 2005

Poems for Carter

Please Don't Tell Them You Never Got to Know Me

It is I whose kicks you will always remember,
I who gave you heartburn that a dragon would envy,
I who couldn't seem to tell time and got your days and nights all mixed up,
It is I who acknowledged your craving for peach ice cream by knocking the cold bowl off your belly,
I who went shopping and helped you pick out the "perfect" teddy bear for me,
I who liked to be cradled in your belly and rocked off to dreamy slumber by the fire,
It is I who never had a doubt about your love,
It is I who was able to put a lifetime of joy in an instant.

--Pat Schwiebert

My Baby Boy

Inside my belly you slowly grew.
How much I wanted you I always knew.
But now daddy and I are filled with grief.
Your time with us was way too brief.

I’ll never understand why we’re apart.
And time will never heal my broken heart.
But I’ll always love you more than words can say.
And I promise I’ll see you again one day.

The only comfort I can allow
Is my baby boy you’re with the angels now.

- Kristyn von Rotz

Dearest Mommy and Daddy,

When you wonder the meaning of life and love, know that I am with you.

Close your eyes and feel me kissing you in the gentle breeze across your cheek.

When you begin to doubt that you shall ever see me again, quiet your mind and hear me, I am in the whisper of the heavens, speaking of your love.

When you lose your identity, when you question who you are, where you are going... Open your heart and see me, I am the twinkle of the stars smiling down upon you... Lighting the path for your journey.

When you awaken each morning, not remembering your dreams but feeling content and serene, know that I was with you, filling your nights with thoughts of me.

When you linger in the remnant pain, wholeness seeming so unfamiliar, think of me.

Know that I am with you, touching you through the shared tears of a gentle friend easing the pain.

As the sunrise illuminates the desert sky, as the breathtaking brilliance awakens your spirits, think of our time together...all too brief... but ever brilliant.

When you are certain of us together, when you are certain of your destiny, know that God created that moment in time just for us...

I am with you always....

- Author unknown

Hi Mommy

Hi Mommy,
It's me, your Angel
just checking in with you.
I know you're sad, because I'm gone
and Mommy - I'm sad too.

It's beautiful here, where I am
-there's such a lovely view.
but mostly when I'm sitting here
I'm looking down at you.

I see all of your feelings
everyday when I look down.
I love to see you smile
and I know sometimes you frown.

But guess what? I have a job to do...
God saved it for your boy.
I get to watch over you
and protect you from the world.

So though you cannot see me
and I know it's hard on you.
You'll surely see the benefits
of the job God has me do.

- Author unknown

Dear Little One

We never dreamed you'd be so beautiful...
In all of the times we tried to imagine
every last detail of who you would be,
thru all of the nights we spent quietly thinking
of how we would feel
when we first looked at you,
we patiently waited
and silently wondered.
We hoped and we prayed
and we tried to imagine...
but we never dreamed you'd be so beautiful.

- Kimberly Rinehart

To The Child in My Heart

O precious, tiny, sweet little one
You will always be to me
So perfect, pure, and innocent
Just as you were meant to be.

We dreamed of you and of your life
And all that it would be
We waited and longed for you to come
And join our family.

We never had the chance to play,
To laugh, to rock, to wiggle.
We long to hold you, touch you now
And listen to you giggle.

I'll always be your mother.
He'll always be your dad.
You will always be our child,
The child that we had.

But now you're gone...but yet you're here.
We sense you everywhere.
You are our sorrow and our joy.
There's love in every tear.

Just know our love goes deep and strong.
We'll forget you never--
The child we had, but never had,
And yet will have forever.

- C.P.

A Man In Grief

It must be very difficult
To be a man in grief,
Since "men don't cry" and "men are strong"
No tears can bring relief.
It must be very difficult
To stand up to the test
And field the calls and visitors
So she can get some rest.
They always ask if she's all right
And what she's going through.
But seldom take his hand and ask,
"My friend, but how are you?"
He hears her crying in the night
And thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her,
but "stays strong" for her sake.
It must be very difficult
To start each day anew
And try to be so very brave --
He lost his baby too.

-Author Unknown

We Thought of You With Love Today

We thought of you with love today,
but that is nothing new.
We thought about you yesterday,
and days before that too.

We think of you in silence,
we often speak your name;
All we have now are memories,
and your picture in a frame.

Your memory is our keepsake,
with which we will never part;
God has you in his keep,
we have you in our heart.

It broke our heart to lose you.
But you didn't go alone,
For a part of us went with you...
the day God took you home.

- Author unknown

No comments: